Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Nobody Bothers Me

A while back I blogged about bygone local TV commercials ("Memory Jostling Jingles") and this 1978 DC-area ad for Jhoon Rhee's Karate School (sent to me by Scott Huffines) is one of the greatest. Nobody at YouTube mentioned it, but if the singer sounds a lot like local guitar hero Nils Lofgren, it's because...it is! And I'm not telling "White Lies". It's even listed under "TV Work" on Nils' official discography. (Check this site out - I learned that Nils also did a promotional single for the Washington Bullets basketball team, 1978's "Bullets Fever" on A&M Records.) (BTW, Nils was an avowed hoops fanatic - anybody remember the 5-3 rocker's infamous 30-point one-on-one drubbing of the 6-5 Howard Stern on the April 27, 1991 "NBT&A" episode of Stern's old WWOR-TV show?)

JHOON RHEE - "NOBODY BOTHERS ME" COMMERCIAL

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, that should read "Nobody BOTHER me." Not "bothers."

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Scott and Tom, it's "bodda".

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they have the "Morton's Crazy Days Sale" commercials on Youtube?

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, I would KILL for a copy of one of the Morton's Crazy Days Sale ads. I imitate the woman's voice for friends -- I always assumed it must be the owner's wife or something -- and nobody believes me that she really sounded like that.

I hope a copy of one of those is preserved somewhere.

5:34 AM  
Blogger p. albert said...

What about the immortal Style Shop?

"The Style Shop! The Style Shop! THE STYLE SHOP!! It's bad! It's SUPERBAD!! The Style Shop! The Style Shop! THE STYLE SHOP!! It's BAAAD."

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the Morton's Crazy Days ads too....I have tried to describe them to friends and there were just too many details...the mannequins, the lady's two piece dressing, 2 for $5, the script, the delivery....the wigs on the mannequins....

I also remember Mr Ray's hair weave.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home