Monday, October 13, 2008

As Good As It Gets

"Are you gonna get any better, or is this it?"
- Former Baltimore Orioles manager Earl Weaver's riposte to bad umpires

Over the weekend, my friend helped me convert audiotapes of the bands I used to play in - Thee Katatonix (1979-1980) and Little Toot & The Boatniks (1981-1982) - to mp3s so I could burn them to CD. Mission accomplished, I was playing a newly digitized Katatonix demo CD for my girlfiend while she skimmed through the latest issue of the Dundalk Eagle.


The Beat Goes On: Thee Katatonix, 1979

Looking up from her paper while listening to the Kats plod through a practice take of "(You Grow On Me Like a) Fungus", she suddenly asked, "Did your drumming get any better between the Katatonix and your other bands?" Ouch!

"Um, no," I replied, crestfallen. "It consistently sucked."

Death, where is thy sting?

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That looks like the floor-tom in my garage!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww...
tom e gunn
you're too hard on yourself
what songs are on the katz cd?
I want one

12:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always thought you were pretty good. Then again, consider the source!

I want a copy too!

9:59 AM  
Blogger prufrock said...

nah...
you guyz all sucked, all of the time, cept'n when charlie got in dere

12:36 PM  
Blogger Sl8ofHand said...

And Kato wants to know why he's been trimmed out of these pix???

I have a copy of the original! And what ever happened to that pic of the 4 of us in drag you were finding for me???

John 'Lil Kato' S

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, Adolf didn't mention that we have the "Fungus" song available on the "Divine Mission" CD that's been available for a year now. We made some burns at first but then we actually had Basement Floor Productions make us some copies of the album. We also put the "All Sold Out" album onto cd last year. If anybody wants one go to katatonix.com
Also, Adolf wants to know if you are going to Chris the Plumber's X-Mas talent show. He said to me he's going even if he has the flu. There is a $200.00 prize. Hmmm... could there be a possible collaboration between you and Adolf? Hope to see you there. Patti Jo

5:56 PM  
Anonymous captain groovy said...

Wow, The Boatniks! What a great little band they were. What songs of their's do you have?

11:16 AM  
Anonymous fancam said...

รวดเร็ว ด้วยระบบออโต้ ฝาก-ถอน ไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ไม่ต้องทำเทิร์น สล็อตแตกง่าย
หลากหลายค่ายมีให้เลือกถึง17ค่ายดัง สล็อตjoker
อยากบวกคลิ๊ก

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home